WITPOORT — An inquest case docket was opened at Witpoort SAPS when Police received a complaint on Wednesday, 26 August around 21:30, that a 6-month-old baby was left alone inside a burning room.
According to Warrant Officer Frans Mokoena, Lephalale Cluster SAPS spokesperson, the baby was put to bed by her mother and the mother went out. She was called by a 9-year-old boy telling her that the room was burning. The mother went to the house and found her baby inside, but she couldn’t manage to enter the room to save her child due to heavy smoke. The baby burned to death.
According to WO Mokoena, a candle was identified as a possible cause of the fire. The family also confirmed that they use candles for lighting.
EMS members, Doves, Detective services, VISPOL and the Witpoort Station Commander attended the scene.
The investigation continues.