Baby burned in blaze

Leoni Kruger
MARAPONG — Anicia Molongoana (31) was busy frying chips in her tuck shop in Rebone Street, Marapong Extension 2, when her 8 year old daughter, Elsie, came running in from their living area. She was shouting that the room where the two small children were sleeping, was on fire.
Anicia says she switched off the stove and rushed to the bedroom only to see that her little girl, Favour, was on fire. “Her clothes were in flames. I could see that she was seriously injured. I cannot even try to describe what went through my mind. My 4 year old boy, Polly, was also in the room. I grabbed Favour and handed her to a customer who was still there. I again rushed into the room to get my boy before the fire reached him. I wanted to save some valuables, but the smoke and the fire were too much” Anicia says.
She can however remember very well that she smelled fuel while trying to save the children.
Anicia alleges that when she went back to the house, she saw a man standing on top of a crate next to her house. He had a two litre bottle in his hands. She asked him what he was doing and he ran away. The man is known to Anicia as he and his wife allegedly live on the same premises as Anicia and her family. She told Mogol Post that she had an argument with the man three days before the fire incident, because he never pays his electricity.
She also says that according to rumors in the community it was a candle that started the fire.
Speaking to Warrant Officer Frans Mokoena from Lephalale SAPS, he said that according to her statement, the suspect is unknown, but Anicia should share the information with the police so that they can investigate the suspect.
Anicia is also looking after other children in a next door house, whose parents passed away. According to her, she is the only bread winner in the house, because her husband was retrenched. The tuck shop was their only income. She also lost her cell phone, car keys and other valuables in the fire and there is no money left to start over.
Favour’s burn wounds need to be treated by a doctor every second day and she is on pain medication.
A case of arson was opened at Lephalale SAPS.

Leave a Reply

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.