LEPHALALE — The Lephalale Community Policing Forum (CPF) provided the following points as a guideline to ensure that your Festive Season is as pleasant as possible whether you are staying at home or if you are going to travel.
- Ensure your vehicle is in road worthy condition;
- Road worthiness applies to public transport as well;
- Do not drink and drive. The law is clear that even passengers are not allowed to drink;
- Plan your route and let your family & friends know when they can expect you and stay in contact;
- Avoid too much bling, wads of cash etc. It attracts unwanted attention;
- Regular stops reduce fatigue;
- Stop in safe and well-lit areas;
- Be patient and avoid road rage;
- Avoid travelling alone, especially elderly persons or women with small children;
- Keep all vehicle doors locked; and
- Keep to prescribed speed limits at all times and reduce speed with bad visibility.
Home safety tips:
- Ensure your gardening tools, bicycles, etcetera, are locked away;
- Test your alarm. Let your security company take note of your plans and ensure proper arrangements are made for your pets;
- Let somebody trustworthy check your home at least once a day;
- Do not leave personal valuables at home. Hand all firearms in at an authorised dealer;
- You and your home are possible targets, accept it and take the required precautions; and
- Do not throw caution to the wind since it is the festive season, criminals are capitalizing on that, stay alert and apply common sense.
CPF @ Your Service.